The ANSIPLUS console device driver integrates major console elements missing from the command shell environment of DOS/Windows and the personal computer BIOS into a single compact device driver that can easily be controlled and personalized. With ANSIPLUS installed, user interaction with the command shell and many DOS-based applications will be significantly improved, and ANSIPLUS's extended features will be accessible to all windowed and full screen DOS sessions under Windows, MS-DOS, OS/2, Novell DOS or DESQview.
The ANSIPLUS enhanced console driver efficiently integrates several useful console functions that in the past had to be provided by separate TSR programs or device drivers:
- A screen saver monitors display, keyboard and mouse activity.
- Scroll-back lets the user examine lines that have scrolled off the top of the screen.
- The mouse can be used to select text from the screen or from scroll-back and then paste it to keyboard input or copy it to the Windows clipboard.
- Fast screen output can be frozen and released with the Scroll Lock key.
- Keyboard buffer size is increased and configurable.
- Undesired repeat keys are suppressed and several other key processing options are provided.
- Keys can be added to the keyboard buffer under program control for later consumption by programs.
- A timer-controlled beep tone generator allows user customizable tones.
The device driver is tailored to take full advantage of your computer's display capabilities :
- It automatically adapts to virtually any screen display mode -- text or graphics, including extended modes with large numbers of lines and/or columns.
- ANSIPLUS gives the user control over VGA/EGA palette registers and VGA DAC registers to select and maintain colors using the video controller's full capabilities ( see sample ).
- Text character height can be selected in any VGA/EGA display mode, extending user control to the number of lines per display page.
- In text and in 16-color VGA/EGA graphics display modes, the driver bypasses the BIOS and writes directly to the video RAM, so it can operate much faster than either the original DOS console driver or the DOS ANSI driver
- Full screen smooth scrolling is provided as an option.
Other ANSIPLUS features include:
- Menu driven, mouse controllable utilities that give the user full control over selected colors, color palettes, border colors, video modes, text height, key reassignment, beep tone definition, driver table sizes, and all other configurable features ( see sample ).
- Special loading options for XMS upper memory blocks, high memory area and EMS expanded memory that can reduce low memory requirements to 7K or less.
- Automatic recognition of and special support for Windows 9x/NT/3.x, OS/2, Novell DOS, DESQview and other task switchers.
- Highlighting of user-typed keys when they are displayed by DOS on the screen to give a clear visual separation of typed entries from computer output.
- Support for all DOS ANSI.sys escape sequences, plus additional ANSI/VT-100 escape sequences for clearing the screen, erasing lines, inserting and deleting lines, inserting and deleting characters, screen scrolling and tab control.
- Free updates. All ANSIPLUS users can obtain free updates from the ANSIPLUS website.
© Copyright 2000-2007, Kristofer Sweger. All rights reserved.